[PLUG-TALK] Satellite Radio for Use in Two Vehicles

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Jul 20 16:30:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 06:34:56PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    What I've not figured out is how to connect the audio output of the
> receiver to either in-vehicle radio. Both vehicles are old (1985 and 1992)
> that the radios lack an 'audio in' socket on the front, and only one has a
> cassette slot.

<envy>Ooh! You can get CBC Radio 3!</envy>

I've had bad luck with cassette adaptors.  But the Starmate 5 has an FM
transmitter built-in, so you can just set a preset on each radio to a dead
frequency.

I recently installed a Pioneer HD Radio CD receiver (DEH-33HD) in my truck.
It cost around $100, has a front Aux input, as well as a USB socket.  I'm
enjoying OPB's all-music HD Radio channel, and while the deck handles CDs,
I usually just plug a USB stick-o-music in the front.

I also got some cheap Pioneer speakers (TS-G1643R), and the whole system in
my li'l tin-can Nissan sounds better than any other that I've owned.

So consider an upgrade, even if you don't strictly need it.