[PLUG-TALK] Cell screen protectors

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Mar 1 09:21:44 PST 2011

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> There are a lot of them out there, all different kinds. Some
John> have to be applied with water (scary). Prices range from under a
John> buck to $20 each.

John> Does anyone use one? If so, what brand, and did you like it?
John> Suggestions and recommendations, anyone?

My very first cell phone was a nokia 8620 or something, and in the
first week in my pocket, the screen got scratched all to hell.  And
then the phone lasted 4 years, during which looking at the screen was
constant low-grade torture.  As a consequence, I have been paranoid
about that not happening again.  Of course, my next phone was a
motorola razr, which was a folder that kept the screen protected
anyway, but the paranoia survived that to my new phone, the Nexus S.

Since it was prety much brand new on the market when I got it, the
options for protection were limited.  As a result, I bought what was
available, a $20 Zagg screen protector, which uses the water
application method.  The water is mostly there to prevent finger
prints (the adhesive doesn't stick to your fingers when applying).  I
watched 3 or 4 youtube videos of how to do it, and it went on pretty
well.  I did manage to get two small "inclusions" (dust or something?)
under the film, which results in a small area of persistent bubbles,
and a visual blem.  But only one is on the display area.  It doesn't
bother me too much.  The touch screen seems to work fine still, and I
assume that the original screen surface is pristine underneath.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net