[PLUG-TALK] There Oughta' Be A Law

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Tue Mar 1 11:31:18 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 10:59 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> There ought to be a law that requires government Web sites, at all levels
> of government, to be usable by _any_ friggin' Web browser, not just Internet
> Exploder. So far I've discovered that Multnomah County's Assessors Office
> maps (or is that via Metro?) are no longer firefox-accessible but require
> bending over to Microsoft by using their software. Same with the US
> Geological Survey's National Hydrographic Dataset.

If I understand right, MS-only stuff is supposedly against the policy of
at least MultCo, and possibly Metro (though info is scanty there).

Multnomah Co just dumped MS -
www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/10/multnomah_county_dumps_microso.html

and supposedly, Metro is working an open source project
http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=21470

If you can discover which authority is the problem, it seems like an
issue for appropriate elected representatives. (Jeff Cogan chairs
MultCo, Tom Hughes is Metro Pres.)

Thanks,
Mike