[PLUG-TALK] Cable modems: rent or buy?

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Tue Mar 1 14:33:50 PST 2011

 From personal experience, the SMC modems provided by Comcast are flaky
at best.  They continually require reboot in order to reset their DHCP
server which often crashes on a network of more than one local computer.
  Seen this happen at multiple locations.

I prefer a Linksys that can be purchased from Best Buy or Frys.  No more
instability after replacing the SMC's at each location.

So, if there's ANY savings at all to buying instead of renting, I
recommend buying.

Richard