[PLUG-TALK] Cable modems: rent or buy?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 17:53:45 PST 2011

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:18:58 -0800
"Michael M. Moore" <moore.michael.m at gmail.com> dijo:

>A case manager I know called me about a client of hers who is
>currently getting Internet access (and cable TV, I'm pretty sure) via
>Comcast. The client is on fixed or limited income (probably
>disability) and trying to pare down his or her expenses, and the case
>manager is trying to help.  She noticed that there's a hefty monthly
>charge on the client's bill for modem rental and wondered if it would
>make sense to buy a modem outright.

I have had Comcast for many years. I used their modem only for the
first few days until I could take the time to buy my own. I don't
recall what the monthly charge was, but I compared it to the purchase
cost of a modem and discovered that I could pay for the modem in a year
or two.

Basically all you need to do is find out what the monthly charge for
Comcast's modem is, and divide it into the purchase cost of your own
replacement modem. I don't have either figure, but I am betting that
the numbers will show a fairly quick payoff.

As another thought, check Free Geek just to see if they might have any
cable modems in the Thrift Store.