[PLUG-TALK] Cable modems: rent or buy?

Larry Williams larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Wed Mar 2 03:16:06 UTC 2011

On 03/01/2011 02:18 PM, Michael M. Moore wrote:
> A case manager I know called me about a client of hers who is currently
> getting Internet access (and cable TV, I'm pretty sure) via Comcast.
> The client is on fixed or limited income (probably disability) and
> trying to pare down his or her expenses, and the case manager is trying
> to help.

If the user does not subscribe to cable TV then they are paying an extra
$10.00 per month for Internet. The modem rental for me is only $3.00 per
month I believe. I don't know the cost to buy one.

Now, I'm neither seller, rep nor user, but Clear can provide respectable
broadband for less than half what Comcast charges. I don't use it
because I am out in rural WashCo, too far away from their towers.