[PLUG-TALK] Cable modems: rent or buy?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Mar 2 16:49:04 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 02:18:58PM -0800, Michael M. Moore wrote:
> A case manager I know called me about a client of hers who is currently
> getting Internet access (and cable TV, I'm pretty sure) via Comcast.

Yes.  I bought a white Motorola Surfboard at Goodwill for $4 when I
couldn't find my spare cable modem.  Had to take it by the Comcast office
on Sandy since the previous owner hadn't un-registered it, and then it
worked fine.

You can also find cable and DSL modems at Free Geek, although DSL modems
are usually given away free with service.

I know that retired and disabled folks truly do love their cable TV, but I
will note that one can save a fair bit of money on wired internet access by
switching to $20/mo introductory-offer DSL for a year, then back to $20/mo
introductory-offer cable internet via http://comcastoffers.com

After that, ya never know if there's a PTP access point nearby:
http://map.personaltelco.net/

And don't forget that FreeGeek is swimming in hardware. If the client
doesn't have the ability to do the Adoption Program (which is a great way
to get out of the house and among Interesting People) they can apply for a
GrantBox or even a granted laptop.