[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: March PLUG Meeting

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Mar 3 08:28:31 PST 2011

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 09:26:02 -0800
> Daniel Hedlund <daniel at digitree.org> dijo:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 09:19, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>> fact, if I had a mini DVI to standard VGA connector I bet I could
>>> put it on the screen. In fact, it would be fun to experiment with
>>> that.
>> Maybe you can finally get the projector to run at 1680x1050.
>
> If anyone has a mini DVI to VGA connector/adapter/cable and will be at
> the meeting tomorrow, bring it and we'll experiment to see if my Atrix
> 4G can be displayed on the projector. By "mini DVI" I mean that the
> video cable that came with my Atrix 4G ends in a male connector that is
> about 9/16 inch wide by about 3/16 inch thick. The VGA connector on the
> podium at PSU is a male connector (I think), so the VGA end of the
> cable/connector/adapter needs to be female. This is Portland, so gender
> bending is acceptable, however, in my experience cables are less
> flexible in that area than humans. I might be wrong about the podium
> connector, but I know that I have a VGA cable that connects to it and my
> cable is female on both ends. Sex is so confusing.

Too lazy to actually search for projectors, so I'll just speculate.

I'd be surprised if the projector had a male connector.  Generally it
has been the case that both monitors and computers have a female
connector.  Presumably this is due to it being preferable that any
bent pins occur in a cable rather than a monitor or computer.  Since a
projector is effectively a monitor, I would expect it to have a female
connector.

--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com