[PLUG-TALK] Public Data Accessibility (fwd)

Michael M. Moore moore.michael.m at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:40:33 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 06:24 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 17:56:11 -0800 (PST)
> Rich Shepard<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>  dijo:
>
>> As the staffer wrote, they don't have budget that can be spent on this.
>
> If I had a buck for every time a government employee told me that I
> could fund the government single-handedly out of my petty cash.
>
> It's a programmed response, and it is almost always not true. That
> is, it is not true in the sense that the government *could* do the job,
> they just prefer to spend their resources on other matters. They don't
> need additional funding to fix the site; they just need a supervisor
> who decides it should be done.

Further to that, tonight is the 2011 Multnomah County Community Budget
Forum, at the Multnomah Building, 501 SE Hawthorne Blvd., 6 - 8:15pm.
See:  http://www.citizenweb.org

"With significant reductions in state funding looming, understanding and
giving input into Multnomah County’s budget is more important than ever.
Do you prefer Multnomah County move funds from another program to make
up the difference? Which programs should the county prioritize? Come to
one of MultCo's budget forums sponsored by County Chair Jeff Cogen and
the Multnomah County Citizen Involvement Committee to understand how the
funding system works and tell the Board of County Commissioners what you
think!"

Alas, it conflicts with tonight's PLUG meeting.  I'll be at the Budget
Forum.

Michael