[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: March PLUG Meeting

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 01:28:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 11:40:38 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>John> No, I think I used the wrong term. If that is a "mini DVI" then
>John> the video cable that came with my Atrix 4G is not a mini
>John> DVI. One end plugs into the side of the phone (tiny connector,
>John> smaller than the smallest USB connector). The other end
>John> terminates in a male connector that is roughly 9/16 inch wide by
>John> 3/16 inch thick, with the left and right edges sloped to make it
>John> keyed. This is the end that needs to mate up with the VGA input
>John> on the podium.
>
>Dude!  You've got a smart phone now!  Do what all the cool kids do now
>and take a picture of the connector with your phone, upload it to
>Flickr (or similar) and post a link!  ;-)

The phone may be smart, but not the operator.

As Wes pointed out, it is an HDMI cable, which I just discovered after
consulting with the AVI people in the basement of Smith. They got
excited when I told them I had an Atrix 4G. One of them had just gotten
one for his wife and was working on getting it connected to projectors
at PSU, but hadn't his wife's phone at PSU to play with yet. So we
played with mine.

He had acquired a device that converts HDMI to VGA and was anxious to
try it out. He had it connected with a couple other adapters so we
plugged my phone into it and plugged the other end into a standard PSU
projector. It worked!

However, sans the special device I won't be able to display on an
analog projector. The device cost him $50, so I am reluctant to run out
and buy one, considering that I really don't need it. He allowed as PSU
will eventually have some of the devices to check out, but they are
still testing them.

So at the meeting we can play with my Atrix 4G, but not on screen.