[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] A little something for everyone

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Mar 5 14:17:34 PST 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:59:14PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Ever heard of the constitution?  Freedom of religion?
> I'm offering the referral money to anyone regardless of their religion.

Brian - there are at least three issues here, you have a point
on one and are clearly out of line on the others.

1)  The main plug list is about the discussion of Linux,
primarily as a task/activity, helping each other get it done.
Some of us push the envelope on that sometimes, but it is NOT
for jobs, discussions of constitutions, freedom of religion,
etc.  There is a time and a place for everything.  And plug-jobs
is for jobs, and plug-talk is for religion and everything else.

That, BTW, goes for the folks who responded inappropriately
to your inappropriate posting.

2)  If you want to bear witness for your beliefs, consider the
"ministry" of Larry Wall, principal author of Perl.  There are
many generous Christians (and Jews, and Muslims, and Buddhists,
and ... ) who serve God by writing wonderful code to share with
the world.  I maintain dirvish.org in memory of jwschultz, a
Christian net-friend.  The PLUG group has many Christians and
many more agnostics and atheists, but we appreciate each other
for our contributions and generosity to each other, and to the
world.  And we have plug-talk for when we are feeling less
beneficent and more like hectoring somebody.

3)  Portland has a high proportion of non-Christians compared
to other places, and open source concentrates that further.
Whenever a local majority is isolated from other opinions,
their diplomatic skills atrophy, and they become the tyrants
they accuse regional outsiders of being.  Your (Brian's)
opponents show that, not in their disagreement with your
choice of venue for your posting, but in their rancor,
escalation, and threats ("against the law!").  You made a
mistake, they made a bigger one.

3a) But, so what?  As I understand the teachings of Jesus, the
proper response is cheek-turning, not attempting to win battles.
St. Paul spoke to his audience in their terms, not his own.
The message was more important to Paul than being in charge.

----

And to the folks that got mad at Brian - yes, he posted in the
wrong group.  He has an email address, send him an email about
using plug-talk, then tear him a new one on the plug-talk list
if you have a mind to.  The plug list is no place for off-topic
sanctimonious posturing (unless it is about coding the One
True Way :-) ).

Brian's being a Christian, and wanting to hang out with other
Christians, is not a moral crime.  You would have a hard time
making a case against him in court even if you think there is
a law or two supporting you (hint: you usually must show direct
and monetizable harm).  And battle is a Big Strategic Mistake.
It entrenches the opposition.  If you want to get in gang
fights, please do it elsewhere.  We have a mission - Linux
World Domination - and these other battles are a distraction.