[PLUG-TALK] Rooting Android phone

alan at clueserver.org alan at clueserver.org
Mon Mar 7 16:02:46 PST 2011

> Apparently it is possible to root my Atrix 4G.
>
> I can find lots of pages about rooting phones, all of which assume you
> know what the term means. I don't. I am guessing that it means wipe out
> the installed OS and install a real open source version of Android.
> What is far less clear is what the implications are. Presumably I would
> have to uninstall/reinstall all the stuff and all the settings that I
> have done in the past ten days. But will the phone still work? What are
> the advantages/disadvantages?

Rooting means you can install apps that require root privileges, it does
not mean that there is an OS replacement (yet).

The Motorola Atrix 4G has a signed bootloader, which means replacing the
OS is very difficult without bricking the phone. (A very anti-open-source
move for a company using an open source OS.)

This is why I will not buy Motorola any more.