[PLUG-TALK] Rooting Android phone

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 00:22:52 PST 2011

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:44:21 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:02:46 -0800 (PST)
>> alan at clueserver.org dijo:
>>
>>>The Motorola Atrix 4G has a signed bootloader, which means replacing
>>>the OS is very difficult without bricking the phone. (A very
>>>anti-open-source move for a company using an open source OS.)
>>>
>>>This is why I will not buy Motorola any more.
>>
>> Given that Motorola sucks, what brand has Android phones that are the
>> most open?
>
>I don't think the problem is Motorola. My Verizon/Motorola Droid does
>not have a signed bootloader. It was rooted shortly after it was
>released and the new ones are still rootable as far as I know. The
>problem is not Motorola, but AT&T.

My understanding is that the Atrix 4G does have an encrypted
bootloader, which means you cannot install any other version of
Android. Whether the encrypted bootloader was AT&T's idea or
Motorolas's I cannot say.

However, the Atrix 4G was rooted before it was even released. There are
instructions on the net and I may do it soon. Nevertheless, even after
rooting it I understand that I cannot remove Motoblur. Motoblur is
Motorola's way of locking you to them, like activation. The phone will
not boot unless you create a Motoblur account.

>In general smartphones are still just OK. Even though the Android is
>based on Linux, it occasionally just reboots itself. My desktop stays
>up months at a time and only has to be rebooted when I upgrade the
>kernel. The Android phone has that crappy Java layer on top which
>makes it slow and buggy.

My Atrix 4G has been rock solid. I'm only complaining about being
locked in and about AT&T's lousy bandwidth.

As for rebooting, I can run either of my Linux machines for a maximum of
a month before I have to reboot. Back in the days of Windows 2000 I ran
it for six months easily without rebooting. With Linux there are so
many constant updates, and half of them require rebooting. But that's
the price I pay for insisting on cutting edge distros.