[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Memory Question

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 10 15:45:42 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 03:08:51PM -0800, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> Assuming you're running Linux, run the dmidecode utility and look for
> the section called "Physical Memory Array." There will be a field
> labeled "Maximum Capacity" that will tell you the overall maximum RAM
> your system can hold.

The  dmidecode  utility is cool to learn about.  But, when I run it
on my laptop, it says:

Physical Memory Array
        Maximum Capacity: 2 GB

I am currently running with 3 GB.  I know the machine won't take
4 GB.  The reported number is the "official" number for a Thinkpad
T60, which is often lower than what actually works.

On the other hand, aren't there are memory limits for 32 bit linux?
Or at least some magic needed for grub.conf?  Any issues with suspend,
when the RAM gets large?