[PLUG-TALK] information propagation - radio vs internet

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Thu Mar 10 17:50:38 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 07:45:51PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>> I was listening to KMHD - Divaville - and tweeting about it and checked my link for streaming by KMHD.
>> So the radio is going and the stream is playing through my laptop and ... WTH?  The internet stream is
>> about three seconds offset to the radio.
>>
>> A traceroute to KMHD shows a 32ms average RTT.  Wikipedia reminds me that radio waves travel at the speed of light.
>> So where is the difference introduced? Ideas?
>

> Sorry everybody, I neglected to mention the stream was three seconds ahead of the broadcast.
> And indeed that was the surprise.
>
> \

Live broadcasts have a delay to help comply with obscenity laws.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5564522
You would not think it would be needed for Jazz music, but maybe it's
just easier to delay everything.

Online streams would not have to be delayed for this purpose.
http://radio.about.com/od/createinternetradio/a/aa061404a.htm

There are probably several delays in both streams such as the
buffering mentioned by Wes and Russell, it just depends on which one
wins.

Bill