[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Memory Question

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 11 07:47:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 04:13:07PM -0800, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> but CPUs with the 'pae' feature can run PAE kernels (which use mapping
> techniques reminiscent of "high" memory in DOS days) to extend that
> limit to 64 GB.

BTW for folks who don't know, learn about CPU features with:

  cat /proc/cpuinfo

Perhaps there is a website out there with the results for various
processor models, enabling evaluation of not-yet-purchased machines.

I'm still curious about suspend time.  My laptop, with an admittedly
obsolete kernel, needs 20 seconds or so to restore from suspend,
2GB used out of 3GB available.  If Rich puts 8GB in his laptop, I
wonder how long he will have to wait, assuming a more modern kernel
and only part of that memory in use?  I realize this is a strong
function of disk speed, but perhaps more available RAM will fill
more buffers, and require more disk time during suspend and restore.