[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Memory Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 11 06:16:34 PST 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I'm still curious about suspend time.  My laptop, with an admittedly
> obsolete kernel, needs 20 seconds or so to restore from suspend,
> 2GB used out of 3GB available.

Keith,

   Have you tried coffee on the keyboard? Wakes 'em up faster.

> If Rich puts 8GB in his laptop, I wonder how long he will have to wait,
> assuming a more modern kernel and only part of that memory in use?

   The Dell is running Slackware-current with a locally-built 2.6.36 kernel
and 2G RAM. Suspecd used to be the default and was exceptionally annoying
during long data downloads: the process stopped and I had to start over.

   Pressing and releasing the power button brought the system back in a few
seconds; perhaps 2-3.

   I've since turned off suspend and hibernate. In the years I've used
portables I've not found a need for either.