[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Memory Question - PAE

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 11 19:20:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 04:22:44PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Thanks for clarifying, Paul. I thought the 'pae' flag meant it could
> access > 3G (such as 4G).

Paul also pointed out that the kernel must be enabled for PAE.

Check /boot/config-2.6.[mumble] for the parameter CONFIG_X86_PAE .
If that is not there and set to "y", then the processor's PAE
capabilities are not engaged.  There are probably other associated
options that must also be configured.  The options are not in my
ancient 2.6.18 kernel.  They probably will be when I upgrade
distros.