[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Memory Question - PAE

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 11 16:03:31 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Check /boot/config-2.6.[mumble] for the parameter CONFIG_X86_PAE. If that
> is not there and set to "y", then the processor's PAE capabilities are not
> engaged. There are probably other associated options that must also be
> configured. The options are not in my ancient 2.6.18 kernel. They
> probably will be when I upgrade distros.

   This turned into an interesting distraction for me. On this box I'm
running a vanilla 2.6.33.4 kernel as it came off the Slackware-13.1/32-bit
DVD. There is no option for CONFIG_X86_PAE. Not in /usr/src/linux/.config
nor in /boot/config-generic-smp-2.6.33.4-smp (which is, of course a copy of
the src file). Folks on the Slackware mail list tell me it's there but
neither grep, nor searching within less, nor an eyeball search of the file
can find it.

   Well, when the new version is released I'll upgrade to the 64-bit version
and build the kernel myself if that option's not there (but it's probably
not needed except for 32-bit apps).