[PLUG-TALK] OT - iodine

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Mar 16 19:06:29 UTC 2011

Uncharacteristically, the Oregonian had a reasonably helpful
article on the front page about potassium iodide prophylaxis
against radioactive iodine.  Bottom line, the side effects
and risk of death is higher than what we are likely to
encounter 7600km from Fukushima Daiichi.  We will have plenty
of warning.  If you want to stockpile something, buy some
good dust masks, like 3M N95s.

Very scary:  my wife accidentally dropped a bottle of iodine
into the sink, so I went to Freddies to buy a replacement.
I snagged the last bottle - there is a run on the stuff.  I
fear that some idiots are buying tincture of iodine - quite
poisonous - intending to drink it to protect themselves
from radioiodine.  DON'T.