[PLUG-TALK] Android, Chapter 2, Happy, Happy - Salesmen

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Thu Mar 17 10:57:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:34:45PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> All the carriers are into rape.
>
> They're also heavily into lying. The carrier equivalent of "I'll
> respect you in the morning" means telling all the great things about
> their service and remaining quiet about the negative points.

Rape is not an appropriate word to use.  You went to them, you listened,
you agreed. C'mon linguist, help keep the language meaningful.

"Telling all the great things about ... quiet about the negative"
The salesman's job is to get you to buy. That is accomplished by
leading the customer to understand the benefits in a compelling way.

If a salesman breaths a word of negative it is only to show how it
"really isn't" a negative (turning a negative into a positive in sales speak)
or to provide a distraction from deeper negatives or to serve as a
launch into why the alternatives have greater negatives.

As my old sales manager used to say "it's the customers responsibility
to be informed and it's your responsibility to inform them of why
they should buy right now."

There are multitudes of reasons why buyer beware is a cliche.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Trading kilograms for kilometers since 2003