[PLUG-TALK] Android, Chapter 2, Happy, Happy - Salesmen

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 09:49:57 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:34:45PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > All the carriers are into rape.
> >
> > They're also heavily into lying. The carrier equivalent of "I'll
> > respect you in the morning" means telling all the great things about
> > their service and remaining quiet about the negative points.
>
> Rape is not an appropriate word to use.  You went to them, you listened,
> you agreed. C'mon linguist, help keep the language meaningful.

Come on--John is a poet.  Cut him some slack.

> There are multitudes of reasons why buyer beware is a cliche.

While we are discussing word use,

"A *cliché* or *cliche* (pronounced UK:
/ˈkliːʃeɪ/<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English>
, US: /klɪˈʃeɪ/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English>) is
an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused
to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, ..."

So this fits with John's later comments about buyer beware.

-Denis