[PLUG-TALK] Portland citizen oversight committee for technology

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Mar 17 18:04:45 UTC 2011

I'm not a Portland resident, so this may be none of my business.
But Commissioner Dan Saltzman is putting together a citizen
oversight committee to review technology projects, hopefully
to prevent fiascos like the water bureau billing project.  I'd
guess that the vast majority of these projects involve software.

see:  http://tinyurl.com/456g9oc
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/news/2011/01/25/portland-considers-tech-oversight-group.html

It would be great if some PLUG people would contact Saltzman and
volunteer for this  It looks like a fantastic opportunity to
promote open development and keep software jobs in the city.

And while I can't be on the committee, I have some decent
analysis skills, so I might be able to help with some of the
complicated stuff.  Selfish reasons - if Portland does something
right, it is likely to be emulated here in Washington County.

I encourage Portland geeks to get involved.  Perhaps we can
invite Commissioner Saltzman to talk at a PLUG meeting, and
discuss what we can do to help.