[PLUG-TALK] Android, Chapter 2, Happy, Happy

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 17 17:32:32 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> What if there were four different television standards in use by four
> different television broadcast facilities, each of which charged for their
> use? You'd have to buy the correct television set for the service you
> wanted to use.

   Does this remind you of Microsoft and other proprietary software vendors?

> This did not happen because the FCC enforced uniform standards for
> television broadcasting right from the beginning of the industry. Ditto
> for radio, decades earlier.

   Who set the rules that gas pedals on vehicles are on the right and the
clutch (when present) is on the left? Or that the turn signal lever
(apparently unknown to most drivers) is always on the left side of the
steering column? Consider the mess we'd have if each vehicle manufacturer
placed controls in his own configuration (and they were all considered
"standards").

> I could buy a phone and use it with whatever carrier offered the
> combination of price and service that suited my needs.

   Damn anti-business Commie! :-) The wireless carriers are not in business
to suit your needs but to make money for themselves. Silly man!