[PLUG-TALK] Android, Chapter 2, Happy, Happy - Salesmen

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Mar 17 18:17:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 09:49, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:57 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:34:45PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> > All the carriers are into rape.
>> >
>> > They're also heavily into lying. The carrier equivalent of "I'll
>> > respect you in the morning" means telling all the great things about
>> > their service and remaining quiet about the negative points.
>>
>> Rape is not an appropriate word to use.  You went to them, you listened,
>> you agreed. C'mon linguist, help keep the language meaningful.
>
> Come on--John is a poet.  Cut him some slack.

Like Michael, I also found the use of the word unpleasant, inaccurate,
and generally detracted from the point of the discussion.  I am lucky
enough that was all that it did; a depressing number of people I know
would also have the added bonus that a complaint about being poorly
treated as a consumer would remind them of their unpleasant experience
of, y'know, actually being raped.

While this list is targetted at "potentially flammable discussion", I
don't think that we should be encouraging folks to use language that
hurts a whole lot of things in a whole lot of ways, as well as
trivialises a serious problem.

Daniel
--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com