[PLUG-TALK] Android, Chapter 2, Happy, Happy

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Mar 17 18:25:48 PDT 2011

I came over here from Australia, where everyone used the same 3G bands
– right until the former monopoly telecoms provider decided they would
vary their new deployment onto a separate band.  So, yeah, the idea
that phones are completely non-portable is very strange.

I agree that it is basically just a form of lock-in – but I would
point mostly at the wireless carriers, rather than the phone vendor,
since that is where the root of the economic incentives that keep 'em
non-portable mostly come from.

Daniel

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 16:55, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:
> but WHY do they use different spectrums? WHY is each phone not capable of
> connecting to both, or a wider range?
>
> this is the implementation of the lock-in.
>
> -wes
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Alex Young <alexander.young at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Russell Johnson <russ at dimstar.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mar 17, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

>>> Let me guess.  Because they can.
>>>
>>> No. It's because they heavily subsidize the cost of the phone, and lock
>>> in assures that most of the people they buy phones for will remain on their
>>> network long enough for them to recoup their costs.
>>> My iPhone, for instance, cost me $149. A similarly sized iPod Touch is
>>> $299. Leaving out the fact that the iPhone has more capability than the
>>> iPod, at half price, AT&T paid for part of the phone. Yes, I paid for part
>>> as well, but the fact remains that they did subsidize the phone for me.
>>
>> The carriers use different spectrums for 3G service IIRC.  It's really
>> just a hardware issue.

⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
✆ Contact me via gtalk, email, or phone: +1 (503) 893-2285
♲ Made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons