[PLUG-TALK] Risk of earthquake based nuclear problems in USA

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 19 09:12:46 PDT 2011

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> My calculation shows .0021 per year chance of no accidents occurring in
> the U.S. That is 1 in 475.

Denis,

   Hm-m-m. Your calculations show that there is a 99.79% chance each year of
a nuclear accident. Really?

   I was doing research on proghorn antelope and low-level radioactive waste
disposal site plant covers at the INEL (or whatever it's called now) in the
early 1980s when the Challis earthquake hit just after the bus from
Pocatello dropped us off. We grabbed the last radios and took off to our
research area (well separated from all the reactor sites) where we monitored
the emergency and fire nets all day. Our plan was to speed cross-country,
regardless of sage brush and rough terrain, in an up-wind direction should
any of the reactor containment vessels have cracked from the earthquake. We
didn't get any work done that day but all reactors instantly scrammed and
there was no physical damage to any of them. One kid killed in Challis as
the parapart fell off a building he was passing on his way to school.