[PLUG-TALK] Risk of earthquake based nuclear problems in USA

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:34:23 PDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Russell Johnson <russ at dimstar.net> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > That's a good something to look at.
> > When I looked at the original "alarmist" story my take away was:
> >    one in 74,000 worse case probability for any area
> >    meaning zero concern for an individual
> >    meaning better plan on how to evacuate a few million people
> >      if you are responsible for NYC because the harm level is so high
> >    the closest nuke plant to PDX is Hanford, prevailing winds don't come
> this way
> >    I'll worry about my basement flooding.
> >    I'll worry about a local quake bouncing my house off the foundation
> >      or for a high risk

> The 'Earthquake warning system' will cost hundreds of millions of dollars
> to possibly save a few hundred, possibly a few thousand people.
>
> Would the warning system only save people?  If a business lost all its top
people, could you consider the resultant loss of the business a cost?  The
freighter which leaves port to avoid a tsunami could be a $ saving.  Will
the cleanup be cheaper if the streets are not littered with corpses?

Just as every business in the world does, our governments should be doing
> cost benefit analysis on every dollar it spends.
>
> You must be talking about theoretical businesses.  Or maybe just the ones
you think are worth their salt.