[PLUG-TALK] Risk of earthquake based nuclear problems in USA

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 01:10:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Denis> You (or anybody) have access to the entire list?  It would be
> Denis> interesting to assume events are independent add compute the
> Denis> likelihood of at least one event in the U.S. per year.
>
> Michael> Why assume the events are independent?
>
> You can't assume events are independent.  Events capable of generating
> failures tend to be highly correlated.  ...
> Russell Senior

I agree, but it made the calculation easy to do.  With the data at hand, the
result of the assumption produces a worst-case value, I believe.  But the
whole thing is tainted because the reported data's applicability has been
brought into question.

http://www.dailytech.com/EDITORIAL+US+NRC+Confirms+MSNBCcom+Reporter+Mislead+Sensationalized+Story/article21170.htm

-Denis