[PLUG-TALK] Risk of earthquake based nuclear problems in USA

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 20 10:03:49 PDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> 2) What about non-photovoltaic methods for converting sunlight to
> electricity? Could we not use mirror arrays to focus sunlight on a pot of
> water and use the resulting steam to run a standard turbine? What might
> the efficiency of such an installation be, and its cost per KWH compared
> to photovoltaics?

   This is fairly common in the desert SW of the US. You can find information
about it, including pictures, with Google.

   The big drawback of solar-generated electricity is the amount of room
required for the panels or mirrors. And, of course, it turns out that they
interfere with migratory patterns of wildlife and the mirrors might produce
instant rotisseried birds that fly by.

   There's an environmental cost to everything done and undone.