[PLUG-TALK] My Condolences to T-Mobile Customers

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 23:28:24 PDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:37:07 -0700
Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> dijo:

>On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:19, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>>
>>> The URL says enough
>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/atandt-to-buy-t-mobile-usa-in-cash-and-stock-deal-valued-at-39-billion/2011/03/20/AB9PfF2_story.html?hpid=z3
>>
>>   Darn, Michael! Your's posted as I was sending my copy.
>
>I am sadly uninspired by this development, since I have that whole
>annoying lock-in thing with the phone I bought and really don't want
>to replace for another year or two.  Hopefully AT&T will take their
>sweet time changing plans and limits to avoid driving away customers
>or something. :/

I am not overly concerned. My first cell phone was Qwest, replaced by
Cingular because Cingular offered rollover minutes, the only carrier
to do so at the time. AT&T bought Cingular, but my plan still has the
same features it did when it was Cingular many years ago. There is no
guarantee, but it is very likely that whatever plan you have with
T-Mobile will continue on the same terms.

Furthermore, the sale was announced only today. I would be amazed if it
gets through the regulatory and legal hurdles inside of three months,
and a year is not out of the question. Until AT&T actually owns
T-Mobile they have no power to change anything. And there is also the
issue of merging the technologies, equipment, employees and store
fronts.

Nevertheless, down the road it is a sad day for consumers, and
especially for those who love open source solutions. T-Mobile has
always been more innovative than any of the other carriers, and is the
only carrier to ever offer pure vanilla Android phones. I only hope
that the HTC Pyramid makes it to T-Mobile before the sale is finalized,
because that is the phone I really want.