[PLUG-TALK] My Condolences to T-Mobile Customers

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon Mar 21 12:44:24 PDT 2011

On Mar 21, 2011, at 12:37 PM, Russell Senior wrote:

> Russell> On Mar 20, 2011, at 11:28 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>>> AT&T bought Cingular,
>
> Russell> Actually, Cingular bought AT&T, and then renamed themselves
> Russell> to AT&T.
>
> Uh, I think it was Southwestern Bell Corporation (renamed to SBC
> Communications) that bought AT&T and renamed itself to AT&T.
>
> Cingular was a joint venture between the former AT&T and SBC
> Communications until both were purchased by SBC.  So, Cingular didn't
> buy AT&T.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At%26t
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular

It was a long and complicated process where Cingular acquired the what at the time was AT&T, and then renamed itself. There was even a skit about it on the daily show that showed all the players.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Mobility

"In January 2007, Cingular confirmed it would re-brand itself under the AT&T moniker. Although the corporate name change occurred immediately, for both regulatory and brand-awareness reasons both brands were used in the company's signage and advertising during a transition period.[2] The transition concluded in late June, just prior to the rollout of the Apple iPhone."

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net