[PLUG-TALK] My Condolences to T-Mobile Customers

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Mar 22 00:25:45 PDT 2011

RJ> It was a long and complicated process where Cingular acquired the
RJ> what at the time was AT&T, and then renamed itself. There was even
RJ> a skit about it on the daily show that showed all the players.

  "Originally Cingular Wireless LLC, a joint venture between SBC
  Communications and BellSouth, the company acquired the old AT&T
  Wireless in 2004; SBC later acquired the original AT&T and
  re-branded as "The New AT&T". Cingular became wholly owned by The
  New AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth."

There is a distinction to be made between AT&T and AT&T Wireless.  You
say Cingular bought AT&T, but it really just bought AT&T Wireless.

SBC and BellSouth owned Cingular.
Cingular Wireless LLC bought AT&T Wireless.
SBC bought AT&T
SBC bought BellSouth to bring though whole thing back together again.
SBC renamed itself AT&T.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net