[PLUG-TALK] The Latest on the Hemorrhoid Phones

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Mar 22 12:54:57 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:56:05AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Aaron Burt wrote:
>
> > "Carriers have long been concerned about turning into 'dumb pipes'
> > delivering only voice and data traffic and have wanted to retain as much
> > ownership of the customer experience as possible.
>
>    When the only telephone option we had was AT&T landlines, wasn't it just a
> 'dumb pipe' carrying only voice? Seems to me that 'customer experience' is
> the latest business management fad and means whatever one wants it to mean.

Oh, I think it has a definite meaning.  It means, "everything we do besides
delivering voice and data".  That list includes "value-adds" like:
* Taking the customer's money
* Blaming the customer when the service doesn't work
* Blaming the customer when they can't make the service work
* Convincing the customer to pay for stuff they don't actually want
* Selling phones on eternal installment plans

It's kind of like if McDondalds' business model consisted of charging you
different prices depending on which colour of dog-poop they put on your
burger.  They can only get away with it in a monopoly (Ma Bell) or when all
the competitors have to do the same thing.

Yay for coop-etition.
  Aaron