[PLUG-TALK] The Latest on the Hemorrhoid Phones

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 16:45:35 PDT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:41:19 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:
>
>> arrival of call waiting, etc. Now that we have an essentially
>> unregulated cell phone industry the carriers are adding extra
>> bull-services to increase profits. Unfortunately, the cow has little
>> choice in the matter.

>John, you have the choice of saying no, but it seems that you view the
>only bull in the pasture is better than no bull.  Brace yourself.  I
>am going to eat grass.

Not all cell carriers have their own towers, but there are at least
several who do. If the government owned the towers they could rent
space on them to each carrier. At least the real estate and
construction costs would not have to be duplicated. We consumers
are ultimately paying for the costs of the redundancy.

When I was a kid I remember the adage: "Don't care. Don't have to.
We're the phone company." One bull per meadow had its bad points
as well. Oh the other hand, we cows had the PUC and other watchdog
agencies to give us at least a small amount of protection.

What I am opposed to are the lock-ins, costly duplications, and
deliberately created incompatibilities. If each phone manufacturer were
required to make their phones work on technologies A, B, C and D, and
if carriers were required to choose one of those technologies, we would
have true competition. As it is we have imperfect competition and no
PUC.