[PLUG-TALK] PXE and Class B

Daniel Herrington dherrington at robertmarktech.com
Thu Mar 24 15:21:38 UTC 2011

All,

Anybody out there work with Boot servers? I'm seeing an issue with a
vendor supplied boot server using a class B subnet. I have a DHCP
server, a bootp server at 10.32.240.73, a target server at 10.32.200.7,
and a gateway at 10.32.1.1. There is no routing hardware between the the
bootp, DHCP, and target servers.

Form my understanding, the target and bootp servers should talk to each
other without needing to go through the gateway. It should be MAC
address to MAC address since they are within the same subnet.

The problem is the target gets a DHCP address, but never gets the
pxeboot file. The reason could be that the pxe request is never recieved
by the bootp server because PXE doesn't go across subnets. I'm unclear
if it will traverse class b networks though, or just stay at the Class C
level. The other cause could be the vendor's implementation of the bootp
server.

My question is, does standard PXE traverse class B subnets?

thanks,

--
Daniel Herrington
Director of Field Services