[PLUG-TALK] PXE and Class B

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Mar 24 08:59:37 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 08:21:38AM -0700, Daniel Herrington wrote:

> The problem is the target gets a DHCP address, but never gets the
> pxeboot file. The reason could be that the pxe request is never recieved
> by the bootp server because PXE doesn't go across subnets. I'm unclear
> if it will traverse class b networks though, or just stay at the Class C
> level. The other cause could be the vendor's implementation of the bootp
> server.

With a bit of help, PXE can cross subnet boundaries, but it should handle
your case (single class B) trivially.  Make sure everything agrees on the
subnet mask.

Note that your BootP and DHCP servers could be competing.  Make sure you
know what each component is supposed to be doing.

That said, there are a *lot* of things that can and do go wrong with
net-booting.  A hub and Wireshark are usually necessary, along with tests
of each phase, using dhcping/dhclient, tftpd and whatever else.

Really, this could be a very edifying discussion on the regular PLUG list.

Glad you asked,
  Aaron