[PLUG-TALK] PXE and Class B

Daniel Herrington dherrington at robertmarktech.com
Thu Mar 24 10:57:48 PDT 2011

The subnet masks are all 255.255.0.0

Further testing has revealed that the provisioning works on the other
networks such as 10.33.x.x, 10.40.x.x, 10.41.x.x.  The problem appears
to be the bootp server is not bound to the 10.32.x.x. From my netstat
output:

   UDP    10.32.200.73:137       *:*
   UDP    10.32.200.73:138       *:*
   UDP    10.33.240.7:67         *:*
   UDP    10.33.240.7:69         *:*
   UDP    10.33.240.7:137        *:*
   UDP    10.33.240.7:138        *:*
   UDP    10.33.240.7:4011       *:*
   UDP    10.40.240.7:67         *:*
   UDP    10.40.240.7:69         *:*
   UDP    10.40.240.7:137        *:*
   UDP    10.40.240.7:138        *:*
   UDP    10.40.240.7:4011       *:*
   UDP    10.41.240.7:67         *:*
   UDP    10.41.240.7:69         *:*
   UDP    10.41.240.7:137        *:*
   UDP    10.41.240.7:138        *:*
   UDP    10.41.240.7:4011       *:*

Whatever the issue, it seems the vendor has some kind of configuration
setting incorrect on the bootp.

thanks all,

Dan H.

Russell Johnson wrote, On 03/24/2011 10:16 AM:
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 8:39 AM, Larry Brigman wrote:
>
>>> Anybody out there work with Boot servers? I'm seeing an issue with a
>>> vendor supplied boot server using a class B subnet. I have a DHCP
>>> server, a bootp server at 10.32.240.73, a target server at 10.32.200.7,
>>> and a gateway at 10.32.1.1. There is no routing hardware between the the
>>> bootp, DHCP, and target servers.
>> I run a pxe/dhcp server on a class B network.  The info you provided above is
>> a class A network.
> Given the information above, I can't tell if it's class A, B, C or classless, as there are no subnet masks, nor CIDR given.
>
> While the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet is a class A network, it's also perfectly valid to use the 10.32.0.0/16, which would be a class B.
>
> Russell Johnson
> russ at dimstar.net

Daniel Herrington
Director of Field Services