[PLUG-TALK] PXE and Class B

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Thu Mar 24 18:05:18 UTC 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Daniel Herrington wrote:

> The subnet masks are all 255.255.0.0

Just an FYI. Be careful with that. Having over 200 hosts on one subnet can cause enough contention for the network that it will degrade your network performance.

I worked in a shop where we lost nearly all network connectivity at about 325 nodes. We ended up subnetting to less than class C networks at that time, but it was frustrating at that time. Random network issues, when just days before, it seemingly was working perfectly.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net