[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] RHEL/CENTOS/SL 5x, Firefox 4 and libstdc++

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 26 06:47:26 PDT 2011

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I realize that some people want the latest and greatest thing. However,
> they are not entitled to make that decision for others. Perhaps
> everything they own that is older than 3 years should be confiscated,
> giving them a chance to test their philosophy more generally.

> Grump, growl.

Keith,

   Oh, really? Have you seen what the mobile phone manufacturers and air-time
vendors do? How about trying to find parts for a vehicle more than 10 years
old? This has been the prevailing business attitude for at least a
half-century and was called 'planned obselesence'.

   If you want to see a local example, go to Home Depot and buy the latest
power tool they're pushing. Then go back a month later to buy accessories
for it. Chances are it stopped selling so they stopped carrying it and
everthing that works with it. This happed to me 8-10 years ago and I stopped
buying tools from them.