[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] RHEL/CENTOS/SL 5x, Firefox 4 and libstdc++

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Mar 26 10:59:50 PDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 06:47:26AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> > I realize that some people want the latest and greatest thing. However,
> > they are not entitled to make that decision for others. Perhaps
> > everything they own that is older than 3 years should be confiscated,
> > giving them a chance to test their philosophy more generally.

Heh.  As a sysadmin, I greatly appreciate long-term stable distros.
The web-developers I've worked with, not so much.

The problem with having something that can be kept operating for a long
time is that its component technologies usually don't advance with the
times, just to keep everything tested and inter-compatible.

Think of industrial engines, tractors, private planes, lawnmower engines...