[PLUG-TALK] Arduino Christmas sales

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:36:27 PST 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> 8) The kid spends $12 long distance charges waiting to talk to
>   one very busy customer service rep at Radio Shack.  If the
>   rep can't convince the kid he actually is stupid (rejects
>   undetected), they send the kid a kit with working components
>   (they've made 20 working kits, millions of reject ones).
>   Now the kid becomes a shill for Radio Shack, bragging that
>   HIS kit worked, and his friends are incompetent.  Kid grows
>   up to be Steve Jobs.  Rejects detected, replaced, perfidy
>   unhindered, more future salesmen.  WIN!
>
> I was one of those, but it wasn't for Christmas.  I had built a couple of
Heath Kits with success so I
was competent..

My clock kit didn't work.  Spent about a week with my father's help
verifying my wiring and
component installation.  Scoped it all out. It all worked except the LED
display.  Bad transistors.
After about two hours in the store, with the manager on the phone, they
ordered replacement parts.
All worked after that.

I built the clock when I was 10.  It was still in my room when I came home
to visit my parents after I was
married ( about 18 years ).