[PLUG-TALK] Holy-Smoke

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Oct 4 22:47:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, glen e. p. ropella wrote:

> Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is what you're calling
> "metaphysical knowledge" in support of trans-personal knowledge is
> actually not knowledge at all.  It's a kind of trickery, an
> illusion. The only real knowledge is action, behavior.

I'd change the language a bit: there's personal knowledge and there's
shared knowledge. I can demonstrate both the former and the latter by
yelling "Fire" in a movie theater, but I cannot prove them. :-)

My assessment is that well functioning individuals and well
functioning cultures (and subcultures) honor both personal and shared
knowledge, allow both sorts of knowledge to exist even when at odds,
and reward those individuals and subcultures who bring the best of
each sort of knowledge into the other sort.

It might be that embodiment (action, behavior) is the only true
knowledge, but there's at least one step between Ignorance and
Embodiment. Maybe it's called Exposure ... or Testing ... or
Probation. Hmm.