[PLUG-TALK] F. Richard Stallman

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 7 23:31:02 UTC 2011

>>>>> "MJang" == MJang  <mike at linuxexam.com> writes:

MJang> http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/10/why-fsf-founder-richard-stallm.php
MJang> Richard Stallman does not represent me, especially with the way
MJang> he smears the dearly departed Steve Jobs.

I find the media reaction to RMS's remark kind-of-typical of
"journalists" these days.  They like controversy, so they try to stir
it up whenever possible.  It leads their "targets" (their readers) to
decloak and express their opinions about things, lets them triangulate
their marketing pitches better, boosts their page views and ad
revenue, etc.

RMS's remarks are completely consistent with his philosophy.  They
aren't news.  They remind people that Apple has a closed,
freedom-limiting POV, that is often obscured by their marketing and
their very aesthetic packaging.

Personally, I appreciate the existence of Stallman's absolutist views,
in the same way that I appreciate the ACLU and EFF's views on things
like the first amendment and other civil liberties.  He is hardly
known for bending the truth to fit the gracious social norms we might
find soothing.  For him, The Truth, as he see's it, trumps all.  If
you want to disagree with him, attack The Truth that he professes,
not his supposed social graces.

seniorr at aracnet.com