[PLUG-TALK] DSL Modem Recommendations

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 10 19:36:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:57:02AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I need a recommendation on a DSL modem. Not having DSL at home I'm
> So, what brand/model do you all recommend?

I have an actiontec GT701D working, since Friday.  Can't recommend
or disrecommend until I run it for a few months.  Who is your
provider?  They will have opinions, which we can help you filter
through a Linux lens.

The default CenturyLink modem is an Actiontec PK5000.  With WIFI
and firewall and probably a built-in espresso machine.  The
suggested simpler machine is an Actiontec M1000, available from
Best Buy and perhaps other places.  I found that out AFTER I
bought the GT701D from Frys ("motto: making Best Buy look good").

Since at least a few of us are going through "DSL Hell" (or at
least "Heck") right now, perhaps we ought to share ideas and
learning.  Right now, I am trying to decide whether to "bridge"
the GT701D to my Alix.  I will probably try that with a cheapo
used Zyxel DSL modem I bought ($5) at the Free Geek Store, so
I don't screw up the Actiontec.

I am also reading the 9yo Linux DSL-HOWTO (pdf version),
focusing on PPPoE (as deployed by CenturyLink).