[PLUG-TALK] Ironic

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Mon Oct 10 20:13:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 12:50 -0700, glen wrote:
> Fernando Freire wrote circa 11-10-10 12:12 PM:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Russell Johnson <russ at dimstar.net>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I find it highly ironic that this list has a better signal to
> >> noise ratio than plug.
> >
> > IIRC Michael refused to be a part of this list because of repeated
> > attacks on his ideology. Strange then, that he continues to be
> > belligerent towards members of the legitimate list. (Vaguely
> > referencing some thread from earlier this year)
>
> I've long vacillated over one method I've seen used in OSS communities,
> humiliation.  There are several OSS gurus who actively humiliate novice
> contributors.

I believe conflict can help development -- starting with the conflict
between Torvalds and Tannebaum. They did try to humiliate each other, if
I understand the history correctly. So the dissing isn't limited to
novices.

But by and large, they stayed on topic. In general, we do too.

On the other hand, we are all human. Many of us talk about our lives,
opinions, etc. in the context of what we do with Linux. And that should
not be discouraged. Nevertheless, those of us who contribute to the
discussion do get back on topic.

The recent flare-up was at a different level. Today, any and all bomb
threats, even those with the "this is just a joke" proviso, are taken
seriously by those who protect our public safety. I suspect that the
people behind PLUG will be doing more shortly.

Thanks,
Mike