[PLUG-TALK] Removing "troublemakers"

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 10 23:29:45 UTC 2011

FYI, there has been a LOT of backchannel talk about Michael
Robinson's removal from the list.  The talk is not over, nor
is the removal the last action taken.  There is much work
remaining to do, and a lot of agonizing remaining as well.

Like PLUG itself, the discussion was self-selected, except
for one individual who prefers to stay in the background,
but whose involvement became unavoidable.  Many of you can
guess who he is.  I suggest you buy him an adult beverage
of his choice at afters.

The lists themselves are not be the best place to have
some kinds of discussions.  Nobody who joined the informal
off-the-list conversation was told to butt out, and all
emails and F2F conversations were civil, well thought out,
and respected.  Given that we have a "product" to protect,
public archives with legal consequences, and Michael's
own future employability to consider (the net does not
forget), this was probably the least-bad way to handle
such issues.  Let us fervently hope they are rare.

The problem is not over with.  Michael was unable to
cope emotionally or spiritually with the wide range of
opinions and expression on the PLUG lists.  He is young.
He will heal and grow and learn, and some of us hope
to help with that, but NOT ON THE LISTS.  Though we
must protect the public lists from gross abuse, all
of you should know that we do not discard people here.

And by "we", I mean every member of the community.  If
you see a problem you can help with, please gather a few
helpers and solve it, as gently and thoughtfully as you
can.  Software freedom is not a spectator sport.

If you have bitter disagreements with others, take them
off the list and resolve them, then show the rest of us
how it is done.  If you can't resolve the disagreement,
find a mutually acceptable arbitrator (again, off the
list) - there are many wise people here who can help.

Our community is small, and we help each other here, with
Linux or DSL or wiring tools or old hardware (even doors -
thanks, Rich!).  We may disagree strongly on distros and
editors and politics and religion and many other matters,
but we manage to stay civil.  Even when one of us erupts
(I certainly have!), others usually calm things down.
Sadly, not always.

PLUG is incredibly rare and precious, and I want to thank
all of you again (and again and again) for your generous
contributions of time, skill, patience, and kindness.

And if I ever completely and persistently lose control,
please do me the kindness of pulling me off the list and
working with me privately until I regain some perspective.