[PLUG-TALK] Is there an alternative to Google?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 16 13:57:57 UTC 2011

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Google is getting too much hubris, and Yahoo/Bing are Microsoft, which
> defines corporate hubris. What's a dude to do?

   Call the reference desk at Multnomah County Library.

   The services the library offers are outstanding. When I need or want an
article from a scientific journal and the journal's web site wants me to pay
for a copy ($30 sometimes), I fill in an on-line request to the library and
a week or so later they send me a pdf obtained from a universtiy library
with a subscription to that journal.

   The library is apparently the most highly used public library system in
the country and I've voted for their levies every time they've come up. In
my opinion, the MCL is an outstanding example of a government agency
providing the services for which it was established.