[PLUG-TALK] Is there an alternative to Google?

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Tue Oct 18 17:53:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 17:30, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> While figuring this out I noticed that there is supposedly a way to
> stop Google from directing you to websites based on your location.
> (Google gets your location mainly from your IP address.) In Firefox you
> can go into about:config and set geo:enabled to false. I did so,
> restarted Firefox, and Google still displays my location as Portland,
> Oregon.
>
> I am getting really fed up with Google. This is really Gatesian
> behavior. I tried Yahoo! but I didn't think it gave me very complete
> results. I note that in Firefox I can set the default search engine.
> Does anyone use a different search engine? Does anyone know which
> search engines are better than others, like ratings?

A bit late to this thread, but have you tried duckduckgo.com?
Although they're a bit slow compared to Google (it makes a call-out to
Bing behind the scenes for most results), they get an A+ on their
commitment to your privacy.  I've been using it as my primary search
engine for a few months.

>From http://duckduckgo.com/privacy.html
"DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personal information. That is
our privacy policy in a nutshell. The rest of this page tries to
explain why you should care."

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org