[PLUG-TALK] A new mirror, my latest genius idea

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Oct 19 19:46:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:36:06AM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> So, you know how hard it is to do things in a mirror? Like the left and
> right are swapped and your brain can't cope? Here's my million dollar
> genius solution!

There is a very old solution to this - two mirrors at a 90 degree
angle.  We have one in our bathroom on the west side of the sink.
If you look in the corner, and move your left hand, the left hand
of the doppelgänger moves his left hand, on your right side.  There
is a thin black stripe right in the middle because of the thickness
of the mirror, though much of that could be eliminated with bevelled
glass and some kind of glass-matching transparent material filling
the gap.

Those of us who "think left handed" have a hard time coping with
corner mirrors.  When staring north into the flat part of the
normal mirror, I move my west hand and the doppelgänger moves
his west hand, east moves east.  Left and right don't make the
same visceral sense to me.  Hence, when I was an infant mimicking
the gestures of others, I would move my body in the same direction,
not on the same side.  Telling me "left" and "right" while I'm
driving can be very dangerous.

For most people, faces look different when reversed left to right.
One reason for corner mirrors is to see yourself as others see
you.  But I am borderline Aspergers, with the sartorial sense of
the average hobo (I can sense "suit/casual/crossdressed/naked"),
and don't give a crap how others see me.